November 6, 2014 | 6:30 p.m.
Every year, the apprentice cooks at Niagara Parks bring together their culinary skills at the Apprentice Cooks & Chefs Showcase Dinner. This year, the six-course, wine-paired evening will be held at Queenston Heights Restaurant.
Apprentice cooks from Elements on the Falls Restaurant, Edgewaters Restaurant, Legends on the Niagara and Queenston Heights Restaurant have teamed up with Niagara Parks chefs to design and prepare an incredible menu featuring Niagara-inspired creations.
Niagara Parks has also teamed up with Niagara VQA wineries to offer the perfect wine pairings for the evening. Local wineries such as Chateau des Charmes, Inniskillin, Jackson Triggs, Malivoire, Mike Weir, PMA and Reif Estate have joined this year’s Showcase Dinner.
Check out the full menu on our website and reserve your tickets today.
The new Legacy Prairie Garden at the Niagara Parks Botanical Gardens was unveiled Saturday, where the many donors that made this feature possible were among the first to walk the new, winding pathways.
This unique garden is a combination of different ecosystems found in different parts of the Prairies. You’ll find examples of tallgrass, alvar and sand barren prairie as you explore this space, which is the largest garden of its kind in Canada.
One interesting feature you’ll notice right away is the paved pathway. It is a fully accessible and permeable solution that makes the Legacy Prairie Garden available year-round. The material includes a gravel substrate with an epoxy granite material. Below, a drainage system takes water into a retention pond. During periods of heavy rainfall, this creates a water feature that is sure to attract all sorts of wildlife to this wonderful new section of the Botanical Gardens.
This project commemorates the 75th anniversary of the founding of both the Niagara Parks School of Horticulture and the Ontario Parks Association in 2011. A labour of love for all those who have worked and contributed to the garden’s creation on the grounds of the Niagara Parks Botanical Gardens, it is designed as a public and educational resource featuring the native habitat and meadows/prairie gardens most often found throughout Ontario.
The new Legacy Prairie Garden is located on the grounds of the Niagara Parks Botanical Gardens, right next to the Butterfly Conservatory.
Queenston Heights Restaurant 8th Annual Harvest BBQ
Let’s celebrate the final days of summer together with some fantastic BBQ. It’s that time again, the 8th Annual Harvest BBQ is here on Sunday September 7th at 4pm.
Enjoy delectable, chef-created masterpieces along with live entertainment and VQA wine tastings at the beautiful Queenston Heights Restaurant.
What’s on the menu?
- Assorted Smoked Fish Display
- Baked Halibut
- Angus Slider Burgers on Sesame Bun
- Slow-Cooked Maple Baked Beans
- BBQ Baby Back Ribs
- Roasted Jerk Chicken
- Grilled Chorizo Sausage
Full details available online: niagaraparks.com/bbq
In keeping with the BBQ theme Chef Bill Greenan of Queenston Heights Restaurant has generously prepared this grill inspired Jerk Chicken recipe topped with a refreshing Salsa created with pineapple, papaya and jalapeno for your taste buds to enjoy.
Grilled Jerk Chicken With Pineapple Papaya Jalapeño Salsa
Yield: 4-6 Portions
- ½ cup Canola Oil
- 1 ea Onion (coarsely chopped)
- 2 ea Scallions (coarsely chopped)
- 1 ea Jalapeño Pepper (stem and seeds removed)
- 1Tbsp Fresh Ginger (grated)
- 3 ea Cloves of Garlic (coarsely chopped)
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Thyme (finely chopped)
- 2 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Light Brown Sugar
- ¼ tsp Ground Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Freshly Ground Nutmeg
- Pinch Ground Cloves
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Freshly Ground Black
- 1 tsp Fresh Lime Juice
- 4 ea Chicken Thighs (skin on, bone in)
- 4 ea Chicken Drumsticks (skin on)
- Put all ingredients, except chicken in a blender and blend until everything is pureed.
- Place chicken in marinade and refrigerate from 6 to a maximum of 24 hours.
- Cook chicken until done in oven or grill on barbeque to internal temperature of 165ºF/74ºC.
Pineapple / Papaya / Jalapeño Salsa
- ½ ea Pineapple (finely diced)
- ¼ cup Red Onion (finely chopped)
- 1 ea Jalapeño (finely diced)
- 2 Tbsp Cilantro (chopped)
- 3 Tbsp Lime Juice
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Orange Juice
- 1 ea Papaya (finely diced)
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- Combine all ingredients and place in refrigerator for an hour before serving.
What: 8th Annual Harvest BBQ
Where: Queenston Heights Restaurant – 14184 Niagara Parkway
When: Sunday, September 7, 2014
Cost: $40 adults / $20 (children under 12)
Why: Delectable Chef-Created Masterpieces, Live Music & VQA Wine! Enough Said!
Call (905) 262-4274 to reserve your spot. Full details available online: niagaraparks.com/bbq